Slider

Book Review: The Invention of Wings



The Invetntion of Wings

by Sue Monk Kidd

This book is from the author of The Secret Life of Bees, which although I haven't read yet, I love the movie. Between the back cover synopsis and blind faith from The Secret Life of Bees, I decided to give this book a whirl. It did not disappoint.

Summary

The book is inspired by the life of women's rights activist and abolitionist Sarah Grimke, although it is not a biography (or non-fiction for that matter). The story is told through the eyes of both Sarah and a slave named Handful, each alternately telling their story. Sarah and Handful strike a forbidden and complex friendship when ten-year-old Handful is given to Sarah as an eleventh birthday present. As the two girls grow up together, their worlds change, but both are on a quest to find freedom. 

What I Like

The uneasy friendship between Sarah and Handful is quite delightful to watch grow. Handful is delightfully spirited--taking a lot of trouble-making qualities from her mother. She is strong-minded and determined despite her position as a house slave. Initially Sarah is eager to make a difference in the world but less forceful in her attempts to defy the restrictions placed on her as a women. The juxtaposition of the two characters works very nicely and adds likability to both characters. I was worried that the book would be a bit depressing, but the sad and terrible moments are handled well.

Whether the story was focused on Sarah's quest to bring equality to both the races and the sexes or Handful's attempts to get her freedom, I found myself engrossed in the story. While I found Handful's portions of the story to be more captivating, Sarah's story was quite inspiring as well. The story was engaging enough that I stayed up later than intended two nights in a row to finish the book. 

What I Didn't Like

There was nothing about this book I didn't like. I definitely recommend it!

0

No comments

Post a Comment

About

both,psalms-to-god

DON'T MISS

Book Review,Food,Testimony
© 2022 all rights reserved
made with by templateszoo