Slider

Book Review: The Way of Shadows

The Way of Shadows

by Brent Weeks

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this book up. The Way of Shadows is the first book in the Night Angel Trilogy and follows Azoth (who later takes on the name Kylar Stern) and Durzo Blint. Azoth is poor, an orphan and has only two friends. The three of them are members of a guild and steal to survive. Like most crime organizations, Azoth has to report to the guild fist (the head honcho of the guild who beats those who don't pay or step out of line). Confrontations arise when Azoth attempts to become the apprentice of Durzo Blint, the best assassin (known as wetboys in the novel) in the city. Azoth soon finds tragedy has struck his only friends, which changes everything. Azoth takes on the world of magic and murder becoming entangled in the unforeseen politics of the city.

What I Like

The book does a wonderful job of submerging you into its setting. Once you begin reading, you feel like you're standing on the street or in the shadows with the characters. The characters, while obviously not good guys, are complex (and likeable) enough that it makes you wonder about them.

What I Don't Like

As I said, The Way of Shadows is book one of three, which means after 645 pages, you're left hanging off a cliff and there are two more books approximately the same size waiting for you. I began the second book shortly after the first and it hasn't kept me nearly as engrossed in the story as the first book.

Overall

If you like action, this is definitely a book I would recommend (I'd also like to see it turned into a movie!). I will caution you that while it took me about two days to finish The Way of Shadows its been about 6 or 7 months since I picked up the sequel Shadow's Edge and I'm not even half-way through the book (granted I've been busy), so you may be disappointed by the follow up.

2
( Hide )
  1. I tried reading the book but I didn't like it because I can't handle the violence that was introduced in the first few chapter x.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is definitely violent; I think the violence is slightly toned down after Azoth becomes an assassin (strange, I know), but there's still a good but of violence throughout the story.

      Delete

About

both,psalms-to-god

DON'T MISS

Book Review,Food,Testimony
© 2022 all rights reserved
made with by templateszoo