Slider

The "Wonderful" World of Disney

Do you still watch Disney movies? This is surprisingly a common question I receive. The answer is a bit complicated, but I figured it was time to try to hash it out for those who've been asking.
Disney is a powerhouse. There's no doubt it has a major influence over children. What is in doubt is whether that a good thing or not.

Introduction

Photocredit: Walt Disney
I wrote a post about Disney 5 years ago, but when I revamped the blog I realized my views on the movies I discussed had changed significantly so I tucked it away for revising. I kept putting it off, but someone inspired my to get it back up, so now is the time. When it comes to Disney movies, be it the original movies that air on the channel or the animated movies, it's not really a question of have I seen the movie so much as how many times have I seen the movie. Like most little girls, I grew up on a steady—and possibly unhealthy—stream of Disney movies. Disney is problematic for so many reason, and as I got older, I realized there are spiritual problems with the movies as well.

It's Just Entertainment

If you aren't a feminist and/or you've never been convicted by the Holy Spirit to be cautious of what you consume, you're initial reaction will probably be that it's just entertainment. My question for you is what does it mean that you find these things entertaining? If you think a racist joke is funny (or entertaining), does that mean you support racism? If you think violence is entertaining, does that mean you enjoy violence? If you think the behaviors God condemned and Jesus died on the cross to save us from, are fun to watch, does that mean you think they're ok?

Magic

I'm not going to touch on magic or witchcraft for any of these because we all know magic is a major theme in pretty much all of Disney's movies and the Bible clearly tells us to stay away from witches and witchcraft (Leviticus 19:31; Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Isaiah 8:19; Revelation 21:8). There is no such thing as "good witches" or "good magic." This is obviously a problematic point spiritually for most Disney movies.

The Series

I realized I had more than a quick paragraph about many of the movies and there are so many movies. Once you read a few, you may be able to guess what I'll say about the others, but people tend to ask me about specific movies so, I decided to go ahead and do a post for each movie I felt compelled to talk about. As I finish them I'll link them below. You can also find the series here. In this series, I'm going to tell you how I feel about these movies. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't watch them. For all things you do, you should consult God, and let the Holy Spirit guide your conscience. I've been asked a few times about this subject, so I'm just sharing how the Spirit had led me concerning some of my old favorites.

0

No comments

Post a Comment

About

both,psalms-to-god

DON'T MISS

Book Review,Food,Testimony
© 2022 all rights reserved
made with by templateszoo